Saturday, February 1, 2014

I knew I was gay when... (Part 3)

March 2005: But the feelings kept coming back. One morning when I was almost 17, I woke up feeling odd. It was a feeling I’d had before, but like last time, I was unable to place it. But as I remembered the dream I had the night before, the description for how I felt also came to me. Ashamed.
I had dreamt about kissing another girl, and not just any girl, a good friend of mine. In the latest dream, we had been cuddling. We had hung out the night before, and the dream started out in the same way. We had been huddled together to protect each other from the horror movie we were watching—I’ll admit it. I had some moves even back then. Being so close to her felt good, and I remember not wanting it to stop both in real life and the dream. But then the dream quickly progressed beyond the events of the previous night.  In the dream, we had been cuddling and, suddenly, kissing, in that way only dreams allow, without a clear sequence of events. No leaning in, no talking. Just cuddling, then kissing. Good kissing. Kissing that made me feel that peculiar feeling in my stomach when I woke up. I remember feeling panicky and trying to calm myself down. Why the hell was I dreaming about kissing girls? Was that normal? Maybe it was just my way of expressing platonic affection for my friend? I rationalized the shit out of this dream.
During this time I often turned to a dream I once had where I kissed a boy from my math class. It was my proof that I was Straight with a capital S. After all, there was no such thing as sometimes wanting to kiss boys AND girls. Actually, I think the thought that I was maybe bisexual gradually slipped into my consciousness, but I wasn’t even ready to handle that. Instead, whenever I doubted or questioned my attraction to boys or girls, I returned to that one dream. I held onto it like a life raft. And yet, my dreams with sexual undertones (or, let’s be real, overtones) featuring other girls far outnumbered my dreams where I kissed boys. 
August 2005: I was about to start my senior year of high school, and I was feeling pretty damn good about life. I had my friends, my car, and a new sense of freedom that came with being the oldest in the school. To top it off, I was dating a boy. Take that, gay thoughts! One night, before I inevitably broke up with him, we were watching a movie and snuggling in his basement. I use the word snuggling loosely. We were barely touching due to my vigilance and his timidness. Also, the fact that his multiple brothers were stomping up and down the basement stairs the whole night didn’t help the situation. But despite the barely-counts-as-snuggling, I remember that my heart was beating faster than usual and I was a little nervous. And here’s the thing, here’s how I know I was trying SO hard to be straight: even at that point in the night, I was still wondering whether I was nervous because I wanted Jake* to kiss me or because I was terrified that he would.

The night wore on and neither one of us made a move. I was both disappointed and relieved and confused. I was feeling all the feelings, guys! I wanted to have a boyfriend, because it secured my place in my heteronormative world. Talk about the majority culture ramming norms down people’s throats.

He finally kissed me after walking me to my car. I smiled and said good night, but as I got in my car and drove away, I was devastated. I think I had thought that Jake’s kiss would be a make it or break it situation. And it was break it, for sure. I felt trapped, confused, and utter dread in the pit of my stomach. I even calculated how long I could date him before it would be socially appropriate to break up with him. I wanted more than anything to feel attached to him, to want to be with him, but instead I just felt completely alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment